A great blog post detailing how https://bitly.com/ scales their URL shortening service.
- The socket library that acts as a concurrency framework.
- Carries messages across inproc, IPC, TCP, and multicast.
- Connect N-to-N via fanout, pubsub, pipeline, request-reply.
- Asynch I/O for scalable multicore message-passing apps.
- Large and active open source community.
- 40+ languages including C, C++, Java, .NET, Python.
- Most OSes including Linux, Windows, OS X.
- Free software with full commercial support.
Check out the Learn the Basics page. There’s some good stuff there.